When I told my mom we were going camping she was so excited for us and wanted to come. She asked where we were camping and I told her Saint Louis. She laughed! LOL! She asked "who camps in Saint Louis"! Well actually we were heading to a state park out side of Saint Louis near the ski resort so Hope and Charlie could go snowboarding.
We were so exited to get to our campsite and set up. Our camper was winterized so we weren't worried as long as our spot was near the restrooms. Come to find out the restrooms with sinks and showers were closed for the winter, so we had to stay near the outhouse.
After setting up we all went for a hike through the woods. I left my camera at the camp site since the sky threatened to snow. Sure enough we enjoyed our outing as magical light fluffy snowflakes fell on our hats, noses and we tried to catch them in our mouths.
Aside from the campground host there was only one other campsite in use. The spot next to us had a youth leader who took his kids and youth group camping. We helped them set up camp and then the kids, young and old alike, played soccer in the dark on the snow covered ground. I was amazed that even though the sky was dark with a low covering of clouds the camp ground was illuminated enough to see just from the little reflection on the white wonderland.
We brought a bunch of games and enjoyed the friendly competition in the warmth of the camper.
Hope and Blessing started up in the top bunk, but in the middle of the night we all woke up to a chill in the air. We realized that the heat had stopped working. The propane had run out, so Charlie braved the cold to switch tanks. For some reason the heat still didn't work. I thought we would all end up sleeping in the truck, but Charlie was determined to hold our ground in the camper. In my half asleep, half frozen state I blurted out "we won't survive" the below 10 degree weather. Charlie and Hope enjoyed teasing me the rest of the weekend about my comment! Charlie, Hope, the three dogs and I managed to keep each other warm in the full size bed. Needless to say we survived!
The heater started working again in the morning so we stayed the rest of the weekend.
Hope and Charlie enjoyed hitting the slopes! The weather was perfect with brand new snow and the sun shining over head. I wish I stayed to take pictures, but instead I ventured off in search of our national bird. I enjoyed my walks with the dogs and catching a glimpse of souring majesty.
When I picked up my two favorite people at the end of the day I found out that Hope conquered the Black Diamond. My little girl, who has only snowboarded 2 times in her life, went down the biggest, baddest slope at the resort and did not fall once!
I have to say that our first time camping in the snow was an adventure and look forward to doing it again! Next time with a back up heater!
...And next time with me!!!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, what an incredible adventure!! No way would I have survived that cold, that is crazy! That is so awesome about Hope-WOW!!
ReplyDeleteFlorida family camps in 10 below weather. That is newsworthy!! Glad you had a good time.
ReplyDelete