Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hanauma Bay Scuba Dive

Charlie, Dan and I all wanted to get in one last dive before we left so while the kids were in school we met down in Hanauma Bay, an old volcano crater that the ocean had eroded on one side.  It was rated in the top 5 of the best American Beaches and is a great place to snorkle, but proved to be an even greater place to scuba.  We went on an hour dive and saw countless verieties of fish, a Honu (Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle) and He'e Mauli (octopus).  The water was so clear we had about a 75-100 feet of visability.  Of course Charlie and Dan kept wanting to go out farther, were as I just wanted to skirt around the reef.  So as not to disappoint them I followed and we actually got in trouble with the life guard for going around to the witches brew.  Thanks guys!  Hope had fun digging for gold on the beach with Madison and some other friends.  When we got back in we were all starving and Amber had great lunch ready for us.  Thank you so much Amber for all you did!  We had an awesome time.  This dive is ranked at the top of my list so far!  

Getting ready to go out!
Finally a picture of me scuba diving
This fish was cool, we actually saw a yellow one later.  I tried to get close ups of all the fish, but they were fast and would swim away as I got closer.  This fish actually came closer to me.  I thought he was going to attack me he got so close.  So I swam away!
I loved these, they are bright red and the sun shining through the water would just light them up!
Dan found an octopus!  Super cool this is him swimming away so fast that I couldn't even get his whole body in the shot
Next picture he was almost gone
The ink he left behind
Charlie and Dan talking to the lifeguard
Can you see the fish?  Super cool camo!
Honu!



Swimming with Hope after the dive.  Look at how clear the water is!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Now THAT is amazing. I sure hope Erik and Dan can go when Evan gets qualified. How awesome. Thanks for introducing all these great activities to us.

    ReplyDelete